Bully is approximately 20 kilometres north of Arras. From Arras, take the D937 towards Bethune. At Sains-en-Gohelle, turn right onto the D166E towards Bully. At the first (Casimir Beugret) roundabout, turn right into the Rue Ferdinand Marche. The Cemetery (known locally as the Cimetiere de Bully-les-Mines) is 200 metres down this road on the right. The Commonwealth war graves plot is obvious as soon as you enter the communal cemetery.
Bully-Grenay is the name of the railway station (on the main Hazebrouck-Arras line) serving this village and Grenay; but the double name was generally applied to the village and the Communal Cemetery of Bully by the British Army.
The French troops, whose place was taken in this sector by the British in June 1915, had made an Extension on the West side of the Communal Cemetery; and from June 1915 to June 1916, British soldiers were buried in it.
The French Extension was made by French troops on the west side of the communal cemetery, and Commonwealth forces, who took their place in this part of the line in June 1915, buried in it until June 1916. The French extension contains 91 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.
The British extension, on the south-west side of the communal cemetery, was begun at the end of April 1916, and was used until October.
From April 1917 to March 1918, (Plot II, Row E to the last row of Plot IV), it was very largely an artillery burial ground. At the Armistice, Plot VI, Rows A-C, had been completed, and the cemetery contained 595 graves.
After the Armistice, Plots V (D-G), VI (C and D) and VII to IX were made when graves were brought in from isolated positions and small burial grounds on the battlefields east of Grenay. Three came from Grenay Churchyard, which had been damaged by shell fire and was closed. One came from the German Extension of Sallaumines Communal Cemetery.
There are now 803 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in the British extension. 141 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to two casualties known to have been buried at Sallaumines whose graves could not be found.
The extension also contains one Second World War burial.
The British extension was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Rifleman Claude Disney R/9059
13th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps
Died on 31st August 1916 aged 35
Son of Thomas and Emma Disney, of Main St, Keyworth, Notts
Grave: I B 16
There are four soldiers who were executed within the cemetery. All were shot at dawn for desertion.
Private John Smith 2506
1st Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Died on 2nd July 1916
Grave: II A 9
Private David Stevenson G/52128
13th Bn Middlesex Regiment
Died on 18th July 1918
Grave: V G 13
Private Elsworth Young 67882
25th Bn CEF
Died on 29 October 1916
Grave: II B 14
Driver James Swaine 86872
54th Bty Royal Field Artillery
Died on 9th June 1916
Grave: B 6