Croonaert Chapel Cemetery is located 6 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, between the villages of Voormezele and Wijtschate. From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentières (N365).
900 metres after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg, (made prominent by a railway level crossing). Follow the Kemmelseweg to the crossroads next to the Goudezone factory. Turn left into Vierstraat and follow this road and then take the first turning left. The cemetery is along here on the left.
Croonaert Chapel was a shrine in a hamlet on the Wytschaete-Voormezeele road, and was in No Man's Land before the Battle of Messines 1917.
The cemetery was begun by the 19th Division Burial Officer in June 1917, and used until the following November. Two further burials were made in April 1918 and January 1919.
Croonaert Chapel Cemetery contains 75 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, seven of which are unidentified. 51 German graves of June 1917 were removed after the Armistice.
The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.
Private Ernest Walls 43771
Private Sydney Crowson 30301
Grave: A 19
Grave: A 20
Near the entrance to the cemetery you will see this monument to Lieutenant Lasnier and his 185 Chasseurs (Light Infantry) who fell here in November 1914.
A la mémoire
du Lieutenant LASNIER
des 11 sous officiers, 174 caporaux et chasseurs
Du 1er Bataillon de Chasseurs à pieds francais
tombés sur ce sol pour la défense de la
Belgique et de la France dans les combats
du 3 au 15 novembre 1914