Flesquières is a village at the junction of the D92 and D89 roads, about 5 kilometres south-west of the main road from Cambrai to Bapaume. The Cemetery lies a little east of the village on the south (right) side of the D92 road to Cantaing.
Wheelchair access is not possible.
Flesquières village was attacked by the 51st (Highland) Division, with tanks, on the 20th November 1917, in the Battle of Cambrai, but held for a time by a German officer with a few men; it was captured on the 21st. It was lost in the later stages of the battle, and retaken on the 27th September 1918, by the 3rd Division.
Flesquières Hill Cemetery was originally made by the 2nd Division, in 1918, behind a German cemetery (Flesquières Soldiers' Cemetery No. 2); but the German graves were removed after the Armistice to Flesquières Communal Cemetery German Extension (which in its turn was removed, with 583 graves, in 1924).
On the site of the German cemetery Plots III-VIII and in them were reburied 688 British soldiers from the battlefields of Havrincourt, Flesquières, Marcoing and Masnières and from a few other burial grounds.
There are now over 900, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over one-third are unidentified and special memorials are erected to five officers and men from the United Kingdom and two from New Zealand, known or believed to be buried among them.
Other special memorials record the names of three men of the RND buried at the end of 1917 in the 63rd Division Cemetery, Marcoing, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire.
The cemetery covers an area of 3 797 square metres.
Gunner W Galway 75257
Gunner F Tipping 110380
Grave: Grave: III B 8
Grave: Grave: III B 9
The following were among the burial grounds from which British graves were brought to Flesquières Hill British Cemetery:
Abancourt Communal Cemetery German Extension (Nord), in which 38 British soldiers and four men of the Chinese Labour Corps were buried in 1917-18. (The four Chinese burials were re-buried in Ayette Indian and Chinese Cemetery).
Havrincourt Communal Cemetery, from which four British soldiers were taken to Achiet-le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension and three to Flesquières.
Haynecourt German Cemetery, on the South side of the village, from which eight British graves were removed to Flesquières and two to HAC Cemetery, Ecoust-St Mein, and 138 German to other cemeteries.
Masnières-Crèvecoeur Road Cemetery, Crèvecoeur sur L'Escaut, where 13 New Zealand soldiers and seven of the Devons were buried in October, 1918.
Masnières German Cemetery, South of Masnières, used by the New Zealand Division for eleven burials in October, 1918.
63rd Division Cemetery, between Marcoing and Villers-Plouich, made by the Royal Naval Division at the end of 1917, and containing 41 graves.
Captain Duncan Campbell MC
Fort Garry Horse
Died on 20th November 1917
Captain Campbell led the initial charge by the Fort Garry Horse in their heroic advance against the German lines during the opening day of the Battle of Cambrai in 1917.
Grave: VI B 16
Major Geoffrey De Bohun Devereux MC
1st Bn Auckland Regiment NZEF
Died on 1st October 1918 aged 28
Son of the Hon H De B and Mrs Devereux, of 72, Market Rd, One Tree Hill, Auckland. New Zealand
Grave: V A 11
Lt Colonel Reginald Selby Walker DSO
VI Corps HQ Royal Engineers
Died on 30th September 1918 aged 46
Son of the late Lt Colonel John Selby Walker (Black Watch) and Mrs J Selby Walker
husband of Ethel Bridget Walker, of 7, The Grove, Sunderland.
Served in France August 1914-1918
Was responsible for introducing the Army's first internal combustion engine whilst serving in the Boer War.
Grave: I D 1
From here you can see the small cemetery of Orival Wood in the distance.Orival Wood