Gommecourt No 2 Cemetery

Location

Gommecourt is a village 19 kilometres south-west of Arras. The Cemetery lies just off the road between Gommecourt and Puisieux (D6). A CWGC signpost indicating the directions to the site is situated at the junction 2 kilometres along this road. Access can also be made from the village of Hébuterne where a CWGC signpost indicates the way from the main square.

It is possible to turn a medium sized vehicle around at the cemetery.

Gommecourt No 2 Cemetery

Historical Information

Hébuterne village remained in British hands from March 1915, to the Armistice, although in the summer of 1918 it was practically on the front line.

Gommecourt No 2 Cemetery

Gommecourt and Gommecourt Wood were attacked by the 56th (London) and 46th (North Midland) Divisions on the 1st July 1916, with only temporary success; but the village was occupied by the 31st and 46th Divisions on the night of the 27th-28th February 1917, and remained in British hands to the Armistice.

Gommecourt was later adopted by the County Borough of Wolverhampton.

Gommecourt British Cemeteries No 1, No 2, No 3 and No 4 were made in 1917, when the battlefields were cleared. No 1, No 3 and No 4 were concentrated into No 2 after the Armistice, with other graves from the neighbouring battlefields. The cemetery originally contained 101 graves of the 1st July 1916, almost all of the 56th Division, which now form Plot I.

Gommecourt No 2 Cemetery

There are now 1357, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 682 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 33 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them.

Two graves of American soldiers have been removed to other cemeteries. The cemetery covers an area of 3,949 square metres, without the access path and is enclosed by a rubble wall.


Gommecourt British Cemetery No 1 was 90 metres North-West of No 2. It contained the graves of 107 soldiers from the United Kingdom, mainly of the 56th Division, who fell on the 1st July 1916.

Gommecourt British Cemetery No 3 was at the South-West corner of the village. It contained the graves of 117 soldiers from the United Kingdom, mainly of the 56th Division, who fell on the 1st July and the 12th November 1916.

Gommecourt British Cemetery No 4 was 45 metres South of No 1. It contained the graves of 70 soldiers from the United Kingdom, largely of the 56th Division, who fell on the 1st July and the 12th November 1916, and at the end of February 1917.

 
Riflemen Mathews and Everest

Rifleman Frederick Matthews 300235
5th Bn London Regiment
London Rifle Brigade
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 19

Rifleman V Everest 2238
9th Bn London Regiment
Queen Victoria's Rifles
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 19

Grave: II A 19

Grave: II A 20

The Bassett Brothers

The Bassett Brothers, died together on the 1st July 1916

Rifleman Philip Bassett 391822
1/9th Bn London Regiment
Queen Victoria's Rifles
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 20
Brothers of Mrs Jean Pichon
of 28, Rue Vauquelin, Paris,
and of Miss Mary Bassett

Rifleman Henry Bassett 391189
1/9th Bn London Regiment
Queen Victoria's Rifles
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 25

Grave: III B 12

Grave: III B 13

 

Other nearby cemeteries:

Rossignol Wood Rossignol Wood
Owl Trench Owl Trench
Gommecourt Wood Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery