Hénin-sur-Cojeul is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, about 8 kilometres south-east of Arras (D12E). Hénin Communal Cemetery is approximately 0.75 kilometres south of the village and the Extension is on the east side of the Communal Cemetery.
The location or design of this site make wheelchair access impossible.
Hénin-sur-Cojeul was captured on 2 April 1917, lost in March 1918, after an obstinate resistance by the 40th Division, and retaken on the following 24 August by the 52nd (Lowland) Division.
The extension was made between April and November 1917, chiefly by the 21st and 30th Divisions. It was used for 15 burials at the end of August 1918 and enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from Hénin British Cemetery.
Hénin Communal Cemetery Extension now contains 193 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 18 of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate two casualties buried in Hénin British Cemetery whose graves were destroyed by shell fire.
The extension was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
|
Private James Howard DCM 11264 |
Captain Robert Field MC |
Grave: II D 21 |
Grave: II D 22 |
Hénin Crucifix Cemetery
Arras 1917