Reninghelst New Military Cemetery is located 9.5 Km south west of Ieper
(formerly Ypres) town centre, in the village of Reningelst (formerly
Reninghelst), on a road leading from the N308 Poperingseweg. From Ieper town
centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly
over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat.
The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after
a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching the main crossroads in the
village of Vlamertinge take the left hand turning onto the Bellestraat. After
crossing the N38 Ieper Poperinge road, the village of Reningelst lies 6 Km
On reaching the village, turn right onto the Zevekotestraatand continue to
the Reningelstplein where the churchyard is clearly visible.
The Baljuwstraat leads from the Reningelstplein and the cemetery is 500
metres along this road on the left hand side.
Visitors to this site should note a short grassed access path to this site
which is unsuitable for vehicles.
The village of Reninghelst (now Reningelst) was occupied by Commonwealth
forces from the late autumn of 1914 to the end of the war and was sufficiently
far from the front line to provide a suitable station for field ambulances.
The earliest burials took place in the churchyard, but in November 1915, the
New Military Cemetery was opened. It remained in use until September 1918.
There are now 798 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.