Rocquigny and Equancourt are two villages in the Department of the Somme,
some 13 kilometres north of Peronne and 12 kilometres south-east of Bapaume.
Rocquigny and Equancourt are approximately 8 kilometres apart and the
Rocquigny-Equancourt British Cemetery lies about halfway between the two
villages on the north side of the road just west of the crossing road from
Etricourt to Ytres.
Etricourt was occupied by British troops at the beginning of April, 1917
during the German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line. It was lost on the 23rd
March, 1918, and regained at the beginning of September. The cemetery was begun
in 1917, and used (mainly by the 21st and 48th Casualty Clearing Stations,
posted at Ytres) until March, 1918.
It was used to a small extent by the Germans, who knew it as "Etricourt
Old English Cemetery", and resumed by British troops in September, 1918.
The 3rd Canadian and 18th Casualty Clearing Stations buried in it in October
and November, 1918.
There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this
site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and nine British graves made by
the Germans cannot now be found, and are represented by special memorials.
The bodies of two French soldiers and one American Medical Officer have been
The cemetery covers an area of 6,807 square metres and is enclosed by a low