Hébuterne is a village which lies about 20 kilometres south-west of Arras. Rossignol Wood Cemetery lies approximately one kilometre north-east of the village, on the road between Gommecourt and Puisieux (D6).
Owl Trench Cemetery is a few hundred metres away on the same side of the road.
Hébuterne village remained in Allied hands from March 1915, to the Armistice, although during the German advances in the summer of 1918, it was practically on the front line. Rossignol Wood was taken by the Germans at the end of March 1918 and recovered in the following July.
The cemetery was begun in March 1917, by the 46th Division Burial Officer, about 350 metres to the west of the wood. The German plot was added after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields immediately to the south and south-west.
The cemetery contains 41 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, two of them are unidentified.
There are also 70 German war graves, 42 being unidentified.
The cemetery was designed by N A Rew.
Rifleman Rudolph Feil S/363
1st Bn. 3rd, NZ Rifle Brigade
Died on 8th August 1918 aged 32
Son of the late Mr and Mrs J Feil, of Wain St, Dunedin, New Zealand
Husband of Isabel Feil, of Morningside, Auckland
Grave: B 18
Captain Samuel Wilton MC
1/5th Bn North Staffordshire Regiment
Died on 14th March 1917 aged 25
Son of Samuel and Mary Wilton, of The Nook, Albany Rd, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs
Grave: A 4
On the other side of the road to the cemetery you can see Rossignol Wood which was the scene of the fighting in 1918. The woods still have traces of the trench lines even today.Rossignol Wood
Other nearby cemeteries:Owl Trench