St. Sever Cemetery and Extension is situated about 3 kilometres south of
Rouen Cathedral and a short distance west of the road from Rouen to Elbeuf.
Coming from Elbeuf/Caen on the N.138 follow Avenue Des Canadiens right down to
the roundabout. Take the fourth exit into Rue Stanislas De Jardin, and the
cemetery lies 150 metres on the left.
If coming from station Rive Gauche, Gare St Sever, follow Quai D'Elbeuf,
Quai Jean Moulin, Quai Cavelier De La Salle into Avenue Jean Rondeaux, Av. De
La Liberation, Bd. Du 11 Novembre to the roundabout. Take first exit into Rue
Stanislas De Jardin, the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left.
St Sever is part of Le Petit Quevilly. The first CWGC signpost is just when
you get to the entrance of the cemetery.
OPENING TIMES: 1 March - 1 November: Weekdays : 0815-1815 Sundays/Bank
Holidays : 0815-1745 2 November-28 February: Every Day : 0815-1645
During the 1914-1918 War, British camps and hospitals were placed on the
Southern outskirts of the city, a Base Supply Depot and the 3rd Echelon of
General Headquarters were established at Rouen. The Hospitals at Rouen remained
there in almost all cases for practically the whole of the 1914-1918 War. They
included eight General, five Stationary, one British Red Cross and one Native
Labour Hospitals, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot.
A number of the war dead from these Hospitals were buried in other
cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to St. Sever; and in September,
1916, it was found necessary to begin using the Extension. The last burial in
the Extension took place in April, 1920. In the Extension there are 8,363
Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war, 28 of which are unidentified. There
are a further 310 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war. In addition 8
Foreign Nationals are buried here.
The cemetery covers an area of 49,885 square metres. The War Stone is on the
boundary of the original Cemetery and the Extension, facing the City of Rouen
War Memorial. The Cross is raised on a terrace on the further side of the
The Chapel, cruciform and surmounted by a dome, is in the middle of the