Vlamertinge New Military Cemetery is located 5 Km west of Ieper town centre and to the south of the village of Vlamertinge. Vlamertinge itself is located along the Poperingseweg. (Vlamertinge is the modern spelling of Vlamertinghe). From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then straight over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. The cemetery itself is located after turning left in the village of Vlamertinge onto the Hugo Verriestraat. This road crosses a railway and the main road N38, where the name of the street changes to Bellestraat.
Vlamertinge is the modern spelling of Vlamertinghe
The cemetery lies 200 metres on the left hand side of the Bellestraat, after crossing the N38. Visitors to this site should note a grassed access path which runs between two houses on the street front.
The pathway up to the cemetery is not the most evident in the world and is easily missed.
For much of the First World War, now Vlamertinge was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances.
Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July.
Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.
The cemetery now contains 1,813 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Not far away and on the other side of the main Ieper Road is the Vlamertinghe Military CemeteryVlamertinghe Military Cemetery
1st Bn Kings Own Scottish Borderers
Died: 17 March 1918, aged 35
Croix de Guerre (France)
Son of Walter Skinner; husband of Annie E Skinner, of 173, St Andrew's Rd, Pollokshields, Glasgow
Native of Inver-by-Tain, Ross-shire
Grave: XIII H 15
For most conspicuous bravery and good leading. Whilst his company was attacking, machine gun fire opened on the left flank, delaying the advance.
Although C.S.M. Skinner was wounded in the head, he collected six men, and with great courage and determination worked round the left flank of three blockhouses from which the machine gun fire was coming, and succeeded in bombing and taking the first blockhouse single-handed; then, leading his six men towards the other two blockhouses, he skilfully cleared them, taking sixty prisoners, three machine guns, and two trench mortars.
The dash and gallantry displayed by this warrant officer enabled the objective to be reached and consolidated.