Warloy-Baillon is a village about 21 kilometres north-east of Amiens along
the D919 to Arras. The Communal Cemetery is on the east side of the village and
the extension is on the eastern side of the cemetery.
The first Commonwealth burial took place in the communal cemetery in October
1915 and the last on 1 July 1916. By that date, field ambulances had come to
the village in readiness for the attack on the German front line eight
kilometres away, and the extension was begun on the eastern side of the
The fighting from July to November 1916 on the northern part of the Somme
front accounts for the majority of the burials in the extension, but some are
from the German attack in the spring of 1918. The extension contains 1,331
First World War Commonwealth burials and two from the Second World War.
There are also 18 German war graves in the extension. The communal cemetery
contains 46 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 158 French war
The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.