From the Panorama at Royère come down the D 152 to this Chapel dedicated to Sainte Berthe.
Originally built in the 12th century the chapel was burnt to the ground by cossacks in 1814 - whilst Napoleon was fighting his battle on the Chemin des Dames.
Rebuilt in 1871 it was destroyed again during the First World War. The current building was erected in 1932 at the initiative of the Leduc family who owned the Royère farm in 1914.
The small chapel looks out over the Ailette valley and the village of Filain beyond.
Up until 1940 the location was a popular place of pilgrimage as a local source of water was supposed to be good at healing fevers.
As this area saw fierce fighting throughout the end of 1917 the site of the chapel became a favoured place for memorial plaques recalling the various units who fought in this area.
Return to the main road turning left onto the Chemin des Dames and continue towards Cerny en Laonnois.Memorials to Individuals