Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Grandcourt Road Cemetery, Grandcourt
Rough Map of Area

Grandcourt Road Cemetery

Location

Grandcourt is a village about 11 kilometres north-north-east of the town of Albert.

The Cemetery is 1 kilometre south of the village in the direction of Thiepval on the D151 road. Access from the D151 is by a single lane road. The Cemetery, 500 metres on the southern side of the road, is in the middle of a field.

Please note that parking is difficult. There is no permanent pathway to the cemetery; visitors must cross two fields to reach the cemetery.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.065392 2.703844 Map

 

Historical Information

The village of Grandcourt was reached on the 1st July 1916 by men of the 36th (Ulster) Division, but it was not taken until the night of 5/6 February 1917 when patrols of the Royal Naval Division found it deserted. It was in German hands again from April to August 1918.

Grandcourt Road Cemetery was made in the spring of 1917 when the Ancre battlefield was cleared.

The cemetery now contains 391 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 108 of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty known to be buried among them.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button