Webmatters Title
Webmatters : X Farm Cemetery, La Chapelle-d'Armentières

X Farm Cemetery

Location

“X” Farm Cemetery is approximately one kilometre south of the village of la Chapelle d’Armentières. on the Avenue Président Kennedy, west of the road to Bois-Grenier, between the road and the site of a farm.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.665502 2.900911 Map

X Farm Cemetery

 

Historical Information

La Chapelle-d’Armentières was in British hands from October 1914 until the fall of Armentières on 10 April 1918, and it was retaken in the following October. During the British occupation it was very close to the front line, and the cemeteries which it contains are those made by fighting units and Field Ambulances in the earlier days of trench warfare.

“X” Farm Cemetery was begun in April 1915 and used until June 1916, and it was sometimes called “Wine Avenue”. It was intended to take the place to Desplanque Farm Cemetery.

There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.

The Cemetery covers an area of 1,065 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall.

X Farm Cemetery

 


Private Charles Richardson

Private Charles Richardson 2420
1/5th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Died on 28th July 1915 aged 17
Son of Tom and Alice Richardson
of 64, Essingdon St., Bolton

Grave: A 10


Private Joseph Sargan

Private Joseph Sargan 13079
8th Bn King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Died on 25th September 1915 aged 19
Son of Joseph and Annie Sargan
of Stainton Hall Farm, Maltby, Rotherham
Native of Conisborough

Grave: D 4


Lance Corporal Gilbert Munday

Lance Corporal Gilbert Munday 873
27th Bn Australian Infantry
Died on 5th May 1916 aged 25
Son of Alfred and Melinda Munday
of Crystal Brook, South Australia

Grave: G 5

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button