Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery
Rough Map of Area

Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery


From La Bassée take the Éstaires road, D947, for approximately 5 kilometres, then turn right along the D171 for 1 kilometre until entering Neuve Chapelle. Turn left after the church and then right after 200 metres onto a rough track where the Cemetery will be found on the left hand side.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.586145 2.778007 Map

Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery


Historical Information

The village has given its name to the battle which began on the 10th March 1915, and in which it was captured, not for the first time, by the IV and Indian Corps. It was later adopted by the County Borough of Blackpool.

Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery was begun during the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle and used until the following November. The Cemetery was known at one time as Moggs Hole Cemetery.

There are now over 50, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and special memorials are erected to six soldiers from the United Kingdom known to be buried in these graves. Other special memorials record the names of five soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in Neuve-Chapelle Churchyard, whose graves were destroyed by shell-fire. The Cemetery covers an area of 452 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.

Neuve-Chapelle British Cemetery

Neuve-Chapelle Churchyard Memorial


Serjeant James Ainsworth

Serjeant James Ainsworth 9860
1st Bn Manchester Regiment
Died on 7th October 1915

Grave: F 6

Private Michael Walsh

Private Michael Walsh 2330
1st Bn Manchester Regiment
Died on 25th July 1915 aged 17
Son of Mary Walsh
of 22 Lyon St, Wallgate, Wigan, Lancs

Grave: D 3


Other cemeteries in the area

Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button