Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Brandhoek Military Cemetery

Brandhoek Military Cemetery


Brandhoek Military Cemetery is located 6.5 km west of Ieper town centre on the Branderstraat, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. 6 km along the N308, after passing the village of Vlamertinge and just beyond the church in the hamlet of Brandhoek, lies the left hand turning onto the Grote Branderstraat. The cemetery is located 300 metres along the Branderstraat on the left hand side of the road, beyond the N38 dual carriageway, which it is necessary to cross.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.852853 2.790983 Map

Brandhoek Military Cemetery


Historical Information

During the First World War, Brandhoek was within the area comparatively safe from shell fire which extended beyond Vlamertinghe Church.

Field ambulances were posted there continuously and the Military Cemetery was opened early in May 1915 in a field adjoining the dressing station.

It closed in July 1917 when the New Military Cemetery was opened nearby, to be followed by the New Military Cemetery No 3 in August 1917. Brandhoek Military Cemetery now contains 669 First World War burials.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Brandhoek Military Cemetery


2nd Lieutenant Guy Crawford-Wood

2nd Lieutenant Guy Crawford-Wood
1st Bn Welsh Guards
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 21
Son of James Crawford-Wood
of Alkerton House, Banbury, Oxfordshire

Grave: II J 2


Other cemeteries in the area

Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button