Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

Location

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery is located 5 km west of Ieper town centre and to the south of the village of Vlamertinge. Vlamertinge is located along the Poperingseweg. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then straight over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. The cemetery is located after turning left in the village of Vlamertinge onto the Hugo Verriestraat. This road crosses a railway and the main road N38, where the name of the street changes to Bellestraat. The cemetery lies 200 metres on the left hand side of the Bellestraat, after crossing the N38.

Vlamertinge is the modern spelling — many of the town names of lost an ‘h’ at the end when they took on their Dutch format after the war.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.847649 2.819238 Map

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

 

Historical Information

For much of the First World War, Vlamertinge was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances.

Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July.

Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.

The cemetery now contains 1,812 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

 


John Skinner VC DCM

CSM 6895 John Skinner VC DCM
1st Bn Kings Own Scottish Borderers
Died on 17th March 1918, aged 35
Croix de Guerre (France)
Son of Walter Skinner
Husband of Annie Skinner
of 173, St Andrew’s Rd, Pollokshields, Glasgow
Native of Inver-by-Tain, Ross-shire

Grave: XIII H 15

The London Gazette
14th September 1917

For most conspicuous bravery and good leading. Whilst his company was attacking, machine gun fire opened on the left flank, delaying the advance.

Although C.S.M. Skinner was wounded in the head, he collected six men, and with great courage and determination worked round the left flank of three blockhouses from which the machine gun fire was coming, and succeeded in bombing and taking the first blockhouse single-handed; then, leading his six men towards the other two blockhouses, he skilfully cleared them, taking sixty prisoners, three machine guns, and two trench mortars.

The dash and gallantry displayed by this warrant officer enabled the objective to be reached and consolidated.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions on the 16th August 1917 in fighting near to the 34th Division Memorial at Langemark.

At his funeral in Vlamertinge his coffin was carried by six other Victoria Cross recipients, including a General and a Private soldier standing shoulder to shoulder. This is the only occasion known of six VC holders acting as pall bearers to a fellow VC holder.

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button