Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension

Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension

Location

Heudicourt is a village in the north-western corner of the Department of the Somme, 13 kilometres north-east of PĂ©ronne and 17 kilometres south-west of Cambrai. Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension will be found at the bottom of a farm track behind the Communal Cemetery, which is signposted at the crossroads of the D58 and D181 and again on the D181 as you approach the village centre.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.020145 3.081349 Map

Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension

 

Historical Information

Heudicourt was captured by the British in March 1917; it remained in our hands until March 1918; and it was retaken in September 1918.

Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension was begun at the end of March 1917 and used by fighting units until March 1918.

There are now over 80, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The Extension covers an area of 863 square metres and is enclosed by a low red brick wall.

Heudicourt Communal Cemetery Extension

 


Lt Colonel Malcolm Docherty DSO

Lt Colonel Malcolm Docherty DSO
Lord Strathcona’s Horse
Died on 1st December 1917aged 40
Son of Charles Docherty
of Island of Uist, Scotland
Husband of Catherine Docherty
of 10161, 88th St., Edmonton, Alberta

Grave: C 6

He went into battle
Leading and inspiring
His men


Lt Colonel Edwin Corbyn

Lt Colonel Edwin Corbyn
18th King George’s Own Lancers
Indian Army
Died on 1st December 1917aged 44
Husband of Emily Corbyn
of East Court, Finchampstead, Wokingham, Berks

Grave: C 7


Captain M Parnell

Captain M Parnell
36th Jacob’s Horse
Died on 1st December 1917

Grave: C 12


Private Charles Downer

Private Charles Downer 11206
4th Dragoon Guards
(Royal Irish)
Died on 1st December 1917

Grave: C 14

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button