Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Rifle House Cemetery, Ploegsteert

Rifle House Cemetery


Rifle House Cemetery is located 12.5 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate and on to Armentières.

From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. 2 kilometres after Mesen lies the left hand turning onto Rue St Yvon.

Immediately after passing Prowse Point Military Cemetery lies a right hand turning onto a small road track (unsuitable for vehicles). 1.5 kilometres after this junction lies the cemetery, on the track leading into the wood.

Rifle House Cemetery


Historical Information

Rifle House Cemetery was named from a strong point, of which no trace now exists.

The earliest graves are those of the 1st Rifle Brigade in Plot IV, Rows E to J, beginning in November 1914. The latest are from June 1916.

The cemetery was in German hands from 10th April to 29th September 1918.

Rifle House Cemetery contains 230 First World War burials.

The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.

Rifle House Cemetery


Private Jack Machin

Private Jack Machin 12637
7th Bn Norfolk Regiment
Died on 19th September 1915 aged 17
Son of John and Nelly Machin, of 43, Windsor Rd., Willesden Green, London

Grave: II A 2

Rifleman Robert Barnett

Rifleman Robert Barnett 5509
1st Bn Rifle Brigade
Died on 19th December 1914 aged 15
Son of Phillip and Esther Barnett, of 95, Belgrade Rd., Stoke Newington, London.

One of the youngest battle casualties of the war

Grave: IV E 10


Other cemeteries in the wood

Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button