Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Quarry Cemetery, Montauban
Rough Map of Area

Quarry Cemetery

Location

Montauban is a village about 10 kilometres east of Albert. 5 kilometres from Albert on the D938 (Albert-Peronne), turn east onto the D64 and the village of Montauban will be found 4 kilometres along this road. Travel through the village for 600 metres then turn north. The quarry from which this cemetery is named is 750 metres north of the village at the bottom of a valley, 800 metres from the village on the east side of the road. The cemetery is on the north-west side of the quarry.

Quarry Cemetery Montauban

 

Historical Information

Montauban village was taken by the 30th and 18th Divisions on 1st July 1916 and it remained in Commonwealth hands until the end of March 1918. It was retaken on 25th August 1918 by the 7th Buffs and the 11th Royal Fusiliers of the 18th Division.

Quarry Cemetery was begun (at an advanced dressing station) in July 1916, and used until February 1917.

The Germans buried a few of their dead in Plot V in April and May 1918.

At the Armistice it consisted of 152 graves in the present Plots V and VI. It was then increased when graves (almost all of July-December 1916) were brought in from the battlefields surrounding Montauban and small burial grounds, including:

Briqueterie Cemetery No.3, Montauban, which was on the east side of the brick-works on the Longueval-Maricourt road. It contained the graves of 23 soldiers (mainly 1/5th KORL) who died in July and August 1916.

Caterpillar Wood Cemetery No.2, Montauban, which was at the east end of Caterpillar Wood, north-west from Montauban village. It was begun by the 2nd Suffolks and contained the graves of 50 soldiers who died between July 1916 and January 1917.

Green Dump Cemetery, Longueval, which was 1.2 kilometres west of Longueval village. It contained the graves of 54 soldiers who died between August and October 1916.

Quarry Scottish Cemetery, Montauban, which was between the Quarry and the north end of Bernafay Wood. It contained the graves of 55 soldiers (largely 11th and 12th Royal Scots) who died in July 1916.

Quarry Cemetery Montauban

Quarry Cemetery now contains 740 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 157 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to seven casualties known or believed to be buried among them.

Other special memorials commemorate 19 soldiers buried in Quarry Scottish Cemetery, Green Dump Cemetery and Caterpillar Wood Cemetery No.2, whose graves could not be found on concentration. The cemetery also contains 16 war graves of other nationalities.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

 


Rifleman J Caunce

Rifleman J Caunce 4309
1/6th Bn King’s Liverpool Regiment
Died on 10th September 1916 aged 17
Son of James and Margaret Caunce,
of 36, Fernwood Rd., Aigburth, Liverpool
Born Wavertree, Liverpool

Grave: VI I 11


Air Mechanic Reginald Hobbs

Air Mechanic Reginald Hobbs 7396
No 3 Squadron
Royal Flying Corps
Died on 29th August 1916 aged 16
Son of Robert and Bessie Hobbs,
of 296, Fore St., Upper Edmonton, London

Grave: V G 19


Private Archibald Larson

Private Archibald Larson 13315
8th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment
Died on 20th July 1916 aged 17
Son of Peter and Agnes Larson,
of 284, South Frederick St., Tyne Dock, South Shields

Grave: IV B 5


Private Arthur Graham

Private Arthur Graham 27295
2nd Bn Royal Scots
Died on 19th August 1916 aged 17
Son of Clara Graham,
of 19, Fernleigh Avenue, Levenshulme, Manchester
and the late William Graham

Grave: III C 7

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button