Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Peronne Road Cemetery, Maricourt
Rough Map of Area

Peronne Road Cemetery

Location

Maricourt is a village situated on the D938, Albert-Peronne Road, 10.5 km from Albert. The Cemetery is on the western outskirts of the village.

Peronne Road Cemetery

 

Historical Information

Maricourt was, at the beginning of the Battles of the Somme 1916, the point of junction of the British and French forces, and within a very short distance of the front line; it was lost in the German advance of March 1918, and recaptured at the end of the following August.

The Cemetery, originally known as Maricourt Military Cemetery No.3, was begun by fighting units and Field Ambulances in the Battles of the Somme 1916, and used until August 1917; a few graves were added later in the War, and at the Armistice it consisted of 175 graves which now form almost the whole of Plot I. It was completed after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields in the immediate neighbourhood and from certain smaller burial grounds, including:

Authuile Communal Cemetery Extension, which was on the South side of the Communal Cemetery. It contained the graves of 108 French soldiers and those of 23 from the United Kingdom who fell in 1915 and early 1916.

Briqueterie East Cemetery, Montauban, on the East side of the brick-works between Maricourt and Montauban, containing the graves of 46 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the latter half of 1916.

Carnoy Communal Cemetery Extension, in which 36 French soldiers and one from the United Kingdom were buried in March 1918.

Casement Trench Cemetery, Maricourt, on the West side of the road to the Briqueterie, in which 163 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from South Africa were buried in 1916-1918.

Fargny Mill French Military Cemetery, Curlu, on the North bank of the Somme, in which six soldiers from the United Kingdom and two from Australia were buried in 1916-1918.

La Côte Military Cemetery, Maricourt, a little way West of Peronne Road Cemetery, containing the graves of 38 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia who fell in 1916-1917.

Maricourt French Military Cemetery, on the South side of the village, containing the graves of two soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in December 1916.

Montauban Road French Military Cemetery, Maricourt, in which six men of the 1st/8th King’s Liverpools were buried in August 1916.

Talus Boise British Cemetery, Carnoy, between Carnoy and Maricourt, at the South end of a long copse. It was used in the latter half of 1916 and (chiefly by the 5th Royal Berks) in August 1918, and it contained the graves of 175 soldiers from the United Kingdom and five from South Africa.

Peronne Road Cemetery

There are now 1348, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 366 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 26 soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of three soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves could not be found.

The cemetery covers an area of 3,787 square metres and is enclosed on three sides by a low red brick wall.

 


Lt Colonel William Anderson VC

Lt Colonel William Anderson VC
12th Bn Highland Light Infantry
Died on 25th March 1918 aged 36
Son of W Anderson, C.B.E.,
of Strathairly, Largo, Fife
Husband of Gertrude Anderson,
of 23, Abingdon Court, Kensington, London

Grave: II G 36

The London Gazette
30th April 1918

For most conspicuous bravery, determination, and gallant leading of his command. The enemy attacked on the right of the battalion frontage and succeeded in penetrating the wood held by our men. Owing to successive lines of the enemy following on closely there was the greatest danger that the flank of the whole position would be turned. Grasping the seriousness of the situation, Colonel Anderson made his way across the open in full view of the enemy now holding the wood on the right, and after much effort succeeded in gathering the remainder of the two right companies.

He personally led the counter-attack and drove the enemy from the wood, capturing twelve machine guns and seventy prisoners, and restoring the original line. His conduct in leading the charge was quite fearless and his most splendid example was the means of rallying and inspiring the men during the most critical hour.

Later on the same day, in another position, the enemy had penetrated to within three hundred yards of the village and were holding a timber yard in force. Colonel Anderson reorganised his men after they had been driven in and brought them forward to a position of readiness for a counter attack. He led the attack in person and throughout showed the utmost disregard for his own safety.

The counter-attack drove the enemy from his position, but resulted in this very gallant officer losing his life. He died fighting within the enemy’s lines, setting a magnificent example to all who were privileged to serve under him.


Private H Trythall

Private H Trythall 717
1st Regt South African Infantry
Died on 6th July 1916

Grave: I G 3


Private John Mayhew

Private John Mayhew 11173
2nd Bn The Queen’s
Royal West Surrey Regiment
Died on 1st July 1916 aged 16
Son of C and Amelia Mayhew,
of 129, Sandringham Rd., Willesden Green, London

Special Memorial: A 2

 


Other cemeteries in the area

Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button