Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Wulvergem Churchyard, Heuvelland
Rough Map of Area

Wulvergem Churchyard

Location

Wulvergem Churchyard is located 13 Km south of Ieper town centre, on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen and onto Armentières.

From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg.

On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto Mesenstraat. 3 Km along Mesenstraat lies the village of Wulvergem. The churchyard lies next to the village church on the Dorpstraat.

GPS N E Wikimapia
Decimal 50.759597 2.854364 Map

Wulvergem Churchyard

 

Historical Information

Wulvergem was in German hands from 14th April 1918 to the following 2nd September, when the it was entered by the 30th Division. The churchyard was used for Commonwealth burials by fighting units from November 1914 to April 1915.

The church, ruined in the war, was rebuilt in 1925. The churchyard contains 38 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War.

Six of the burials are unidentified and 23 graves destroyed by shell fire are now represented by special memorials.

 


Riflemen Kidby and Lowes

Rifleman Arthur Kidby 2894
9th Bn London Regiment
Queen Victoria’s Rifles
Died on 3rd March 1915 aged 19
Son of Frederick and Mary Kidby
of 19, Herfford Rd, Hoddesdon, Herts

Special Memorial 5

Rifleman A Lowes 2509
9th Bn London Regiment
Queen Victoria’s Rifles
Died on 9th February 1915

Special Memorial 5

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button