Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery, Voormezele

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery

Location

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery is located 5 km south west of Ieper town centre, on the Kemmelseweg, a road connecting Ieper to Kemmel (N331). From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentières (N365). 900 m after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg. (Made prominent by a railway level crossing). 

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery lies 4 km along the Kemmelseweg on the right hand side.

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery

 

Historical Information

This cemetery is named from a brewery which stood opposite and is in fact a collection of small regimental burial grounds, of which Plot III in particular was made by the 22nd Bn Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment).

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery

The eight plots are numbered neither in order of date nor in order of position, and the short rows vary from one grave to fourteen, but they record the names of the units which held the trenches on this front from February 1915 to June 1917, and of some of those which, from June to November 1917, held the forward line won in the Battle of Messines.

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery contains 149 First World War burials.

The cemetery was designed by G H Goldsmith.

Elzenwalle Brasserie Cemetery

 


Rifleman W Howes

Rifleman W Howes B/210
8th Bn Rifle Brigade
Died on 10th June 1915

Grave: V B 1


Private E Childs

Private E Childs 8470
2nd Bn East Surrey Regiment
Died on 4th June 1915

Grave: I E 2

 

Elzenwalle Château

Elzenwalle Château

Within walking distance (towards Ieper) and visible from the cemetery is the Elzenwalle Château with its most unusual architecture.

The château was used as a Battalion Headquarters by a number of units throughout the war.

The writer and poet Edmund Blundon mentions the shelling of the château in 1918 during the Battle of the Lys whilst his own battalion, 11th Royal Sussex Regiment were using it as their HQ (The Mind’s Eye: 1934).

Following the war in 1919 the noted Belgian architect Ernest Blérot returned to Elzenwalle as it belonged to the family of his wife. Over the next ten years he reconstructed the château but instead of using brick and stone he opted for reinforced concrete.

The open style of the turret is completely new. In 1914 the building had a tall central turret with two smaller ones at each end of the front wing.

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Brimont Churchyard

Braine Communal Cemetery

Soupir Churchyard

CWGC Poppy Button