Webmatters Title
Webmatters : Suzanne Communal Cemetery Extension

Suzanne Communal Cemetery Extension

Location

Suzanne is a village in the Department of the Somme about 13 kilometres south-east of Albert. Suzanne Communal Cemetery is 350 metres north-west of the village on the road from Albert and the Extension is on the south-east side of the Cemetery.

Suzanne Communal Cemetery Extension

 

Historical Information

The village of Suzanne was taken over by British troops in the summer of 1915, lost in March 1918, and recaptured by the 3rd Australian Division on the following 26th August.

The Extension was begun by French troops, used by the British from August 1915 to January 1917, taken over by the Germans in March 1918, and resumed by British units in August and September 1918.

The graves of 387 French and 71 German soldiers have been removed to other cemeteries.

There are now over 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.

The Extension covers an area of 981 square metres and is enclosed on three sides by a low rubble wall.

Suzanne Communal Cemetery Extension

 


Private T Bradford

Private T Bradford 6893
2nd Bn King’s Own Scottish Borderers
Died on 23rd September 1915 aged 16

Grave: C 15


Rifleman Richard Haworth

Rifleman Richard Haworth 3083
6th Bn The King’s
Liverpool Regiment
Died on 5th September 1915 aged 22
Son of George and Alice Haworth
of 24, Cunard Rd., Litherland, Liverpool

Grave: C 19


Gunner Robert Adamson

Gunner Robert Adamson L/3867
D Battery 150th Brigade
Royal Field Artillery
Died on 13th June 1916 aged 17
Son of the late Thomas and Sarah Adamson
of Liverpool

Grave: B 27

 

Other cemeteries in the area


Recent Additions

Canadian Cemetery No.2

Givenchy Road Canadian Cemetery

Petit Vimy British Cemetery

CWGC Poppy Button