Bazentin is in the Department of the Somme, to the north-east of Albert, containing the villages of Bazentin-le-Grand and Bazentin-le-Petit. Take the D929 (Albert-Bapaume road) from Albert and travel 8 kilometres. In the village of Pozières, turn south onto the D73 to Bazentin and the village of Bazentin-le-Petit is 3 kilometres further on. The Military Cemetery will be found on the west side of the village.
Bazentin was in German hands until the 14th July 1916, when the 3rd and 7th Divisions captured the two villages and the Communal Cemetery and held them against counter-attacks, and the 21st Division captured Bazentin-le-Petit Wood. (The 7th Division erected a commemorative oak cross at the North end of Bazentin-le-Petit.)
The ground was lost in April 1918, but recaptured on the following 25th August by the 38th (Welsh) Division. The commune has been adopted, with Fricourt, by the County Borough of Ipswich.
The Communal Cemetery Extension was begun immediately after the capture of the village, and used until December 1916, as a front-line cemetery.
In the middle of the Communal Cemetery are the graves of two soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in August 1916.
Lieutenant L Griffin
10th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment
Died on 18th August 1916 aged 20
Son of Herbert Griffin, of Ashtead, Surrey
Regimental Serjeant Major W Pearce 23649
10th Bn The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Died on 11th August 1916