Bazentin is in the Department of the Somme, to the north-east of Albert, containing the villages of Bazentin-le-Grand and Bazentin-le-Petit. Take the D929 (Albert-Bapaume road) from Albert and travel 8 kilometres. In the village of Pozières, turn south onto the D73 to Bazentin and the village of Bazentin-le-Petit is 3 kilometres further on. The Military Cemetery will be found on the west side of the village.
Bazentin was in German hands until the 14th July 1916, when the 3rd and 7th Divisions captured the two villages and the Communal Cemetery and held them against counter-attacks, and the 21st Division captured Bazentin-le-Petit Wood. (The 7th Division erected a commemorative oak cross at the North end of Bazentin-le-Petit.)
The ground was lost in April 1918, but recaptured on the following 25th August by the 38th (Welsh) Division. The commune has been adopted, with Fricourt, by the County Borough of Ipswich. In the middle of the Communal Cemetery are the graves of two soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in August 1916.
The Communal Cemetery Extension was begun immediately after the capture of the village, and used until December 1916, as a front-line cemetery. It was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of 50 graves from the battlefields of Bazentin and Contalmaison.
It now contains the graves of 180 soldiers from the United Kingdom, five from Canada and one from Australia. Fifty-three of the graves are those of unidentified men, and 59 (mainly of the 1st Northamptons), destroyed by shell fire, are now represented by special memorials. Six German graves (three of which composed Row C) have been removed. The Extension covers an area of 880 square yards.
It is irregular in its outline and in the arrangement of the graves. It is bounded by a low rubble wall and a thorn hedge on three sides, and on the side of the Communal Cemetery by a curb and a thorn hedge; and it is planted with white thorn trees.
The ground rises to the North, West and East, and falls on the South towards Caterpillar Valley. One British soldier was reburied in this cemetery from Sailly-Laurette German Cemetery (near the West side of the road from Sailly-Laurette to Morlancourt), which contained 556 German burials.
Private A King 22357
1st Bn Northamptonshire Regiment
Died on 18th August 1916 aged xxxx
Grave: Special Mememorial B 20
Second Lieutenant J Fleming
6th Bn Highland Light Infantry
Died on 15th September 1916
Grave: F 6
Private J Padley 3175
4th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment
Died on 10th September 1916
Grave: Special Mememorial C 13