Louverval is on the north side of the D 930, Bapaume to Cambrai road, 13 kilometres north-east of Bapaume, 16 kilometres south-west of Cambrai. Louverval Military Cemetery is situated along that road just south of Louverval village. CWGC signposts on the D 930 give advance warning of arrival at the Cemetery. On a terrace within the cemetery will also be found the Cambrai Memorial.
The Cemetery is in a hollow out of view, however the Memorial is clearly visible on this busy road. Louverval itself is a small hamlet so a GPS may find Boursies more readily. This is the village just on the Cambrai side of the memorial and cemetery.
The château at Louverval, was taken by the 56th Australian Infantry Battalion at dawn on 2nd April 1917. The hamlet stayed in Allied hands until the 51st (Highland) Division was driven from it on 21st March 1918 during the great German advance, and it was retaken in the following September.
Parts of Rows B and C of Louverval Military Cemetery were made between April and December 1917 and in 1927. Graves were brought in from Louverval Château Cemetery, which had been begun by German troops in March 1918 and used by Commonwealth forces in September and October 1918.
The cemetery now contains 124 First World War burials. On a terrace at one end of the cemetery stands the Cambrai Memorial which commemorates more than 7,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South Africa who died in the Battle of Cambrai in November and December 1917 and whose graves are not known.
CSM John Heydon 240949
1st/8th Bn Worcestershire Regiment
Died on 8th June 1917 aged 32
Son of George and Emily Heydon
of 1 Stanley St, Cherry Orchard, Worcester
Grave: C 21
Private T W Simpson, Deal/3303 (S)
Royal Naval Division
Died on 27th September 1918
Grave: A 34