Orchard Dump
Webmatters : Croonaert Chapel Cemetery
Rough Map of Area

Croonaert Chapel Cemetery


Croonaert Chapel Cemetery is located 6 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, between the villages of Voormezele and Wijtschate. From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentieres (N365). 900 metres after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg, (made prominent by a railway level crossing). Follow the Kemmelseweg to the crossroads next to the Goudezone factory. Turn left into Vierstraat and follow this road and then take the first turning left. The cemetery is along here on the left.

Decimal50.7999252.873131 Map

Historical Information

Croonaert Chapel was a shrine in a hamlet on the Wytschaete-Voormezeele road, and was in No Man’s Land before the Battle of Messines 1917.

The cemetery was begun by the 19th Division Burial Officer in June 1917, and used until the following November. Two further burials were made in April 1918 and January 1919.

Croonaert Chapel Cemetery contains 75 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, seven of which are unidentified. 51 German graves of June 1917 were removed after the Armistice.

The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.

Croonaert Chapel Cemetery

Croonaert Chapel Cemetery and Bayernwald in the trees

Privates Walls and Crowson
Private Ernest Walls 43771
8th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Died on 7th June 1917 aged 19
Son of John and Alice Walls, of London
Private Sydney Crowson 30301
7th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Died on 7th June 1917
Husband of Sarah Crowson
of Manor Farm, Welton-le-Wold, Lincs
Grave: A 19
Grave: A 20

In memory of Lieutenant Lasnier
In memory of Lieutenant Lasnier

Memorial to the French 1er BCP

Near the entrance to the cemetery you will see this monument to Lieutenant Lasnier and his 185 Chasseurs (Light Infantry) who fell here in November 1914.

A la mémoire du Lieutenant LASNIER
des 11 sous officiers, 174 caporaux et chasseurs
Du 1er Bataillon de Chasseurs à pieds francais
tombés sur ce sol pour la défense de la
Belgique et de la France dans les combats
du 3 au 15 novembre 1914

Other cemeteries in the area