Fricourt is a village about 5 kilometres east of Albert. Peake Wood Cemetery will be found on the north-west side of the road about one kilometre from Contalmaison.
| GPS | N | E | OSM |
|---|---|---|---|
| Decimal | 50.01787 | 2.72260 | Map |
Peake Wood was the name given by the army to a copse on the south-east side of the road to Contalmaison.
The wood fell into Allied hands on 5th July 1916, but the cemetery was not begun until later in the month.
It was used as a front line cemetery until February 1917 and was in German hands from the end of March 1918, until nearly the end of the following August.
The cemetery contains 103 burials and commemorations of the First World War, including special memorials to six casualties believed to be buried there but whose graves could not be located.
The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
Private J Shepherd 13799
13th Bn Royal Scots
Died on 26th October 1916
Grave: A 22
Private Edgar Myers 17785
1st Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Died on 21st July 1916 aged 18
Son of Stephen and Maria Myers
of 1, Edward St., Farnworth, Lancs
Grave: A 6c
Private Sydney Smith 2389
6th Bn Welsh Regiment
Died on 20th July 1916 aged 20
Son of Mr W and Mrs J Smith
of 27, Brynymor Rd., Swansea
Grave: A 4
Lance Corporal Norman Henley 2281
27th Bn Australian Infantry
Died on 2nd April 1917 aged 29
Son of Benjamin and Esther Henley
Native of Goolwa, South Australia
Grave: C 4